The Nigerian government has reacted quickly to dispel rumours that an agreement had been reached with the power distribution companies (DisCos) to make electricity supply free for Nigerians for the next two months.
In a tweet made from the official handle of the Minister of Power, the Nigerian government said: “NO DECISION has been taken by the Federal Government to provide Nigerians with FREE ELECTRICITY for 2 months. If and when that becomes a reality, it shall be announced officially.”
The statement went further to assure Nigerians that the Federal Government was “exploring ways to ameliorate any hardship on Nigerians”.
Rumours had surfaced few days back that the DisCos had agreed to make electricity free for two months for Nigerians.
Eggonnews can however confirm that indeed the DisCos only ‘aligned’ themselves with the efforts of the National Assembly and the Federal Government to “to mitigate the hardships that are currently being borne by our customers and other citizens all over the country”.
This was contained in a statement by the Director, Research and Advocacy, Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED), Sunday Oduntan on Wednessday (April 8, 2020).
Mr Sunday Oduntan however said that modalities for the free electricity were still being worked on and would be made known in due course.